Monday, December 3, 2012

December 3, 2012 - Hectic

Hectic

We all have hectic days. I get that. Doesn't mean we have to like it, but I'll take it today.
Mom and I went up to see dad this morning. He looked pretty darned good for an 88 year old man with cancer who has been in the hospital for 39 days, has had pneumonia twice, two chemo treatments, and nine radiation treatments! He is depressed ... Who wouldn't be! 
Dad got another change of scenery today. His doctor sent him from ICU into a room on the fifth floor. That's where he just came from, so he is fresh on the nurses minds. As soon as his nurse told me about the move I told mom I'd be right back. I went down to scout out empty rooms to see if I could find him a good one. Just as I got down there Brittney saw me and shouted out my name. I'm pretty sure she knew why I was down there even though nobody had told the nurses on 5E yet.
I noticed there was an empty corner room ... I asked if that would be dad's new room. They hadn't seen a request yet, so I went back upstairs and talked to his nurse. She put in the request. Shortly after that she got a call telling her she couldn't do that. So, another nurse called the woman who made that call and explained the situation ... over a month in the hospital ... chemo ... radiation ... the "Peanut Gallery" ... I'm certain that's what changed her mind!
So, his nurse started prepping him to go down for radiation. He wouldn't be back in that room, but instead would go directly into the new room on 5. Brittney was so excited to have him back that she already had his room ready for him including a big cup of ice chips. She knows daddy well! His nurse, Jenna, was also glad to see him. 
I'm sure nurses worry about their patients when they exit their care so quickly and are swept away to ICU as dad was late last week. I'm here to tell you under no uncertain terms ... There are several nurses and doctors who wear capes at Blount Memorial Hospital. I'm pretty sure some have halos and wings, too, because they are truly sent from God.
I don't know how we'd have gotten this far without them, and I'm forever grateful they are there caring for my precious daddy. 
Christy and I are more than ready to adopt several of these wonderful people, and by carefully reading our comments under photos, I'm guessing you'd figure out who they are ... but not all of them ... Yet. :)
These people have extremely hectic careers, but they are very good at what they do. They handle stress very well, and work amazingly under incredible pressure. Split second decisions can sometimes mean the difference in life or death, and I'm pretty sure a few of those decisions have successfully been made for dad during this journey.
Dad is in excellent hands. Dad is strong and he's definitely a fighter. I am worried that after I leave for California that he will worry about me and I know I will worry about him, and I certainly don't want to make matters worse. I know mom, Bill and especially Christy will take excellent care of dad, but they are all three already spread so thin, and here with the Christmas holidays just around the corner ... I just cannot even imagine how hectic the coming weeks will be for them!
I am planning on spending as much time as I can with daddy tomorrow. I have a few errands to run, plus I need to finish packing, but I will spend every second I can with him. My current plan is to stop by on Wednesday morning on the way to the airport, as well. I am NOT looking forward to having to leave, but I also know I cannot stay here forever. I have put my life on hold for five weeks, and I must go tend to matters that only I can. There will likely be no Christmas tree at our house this year. Few presents will be wrapped. Even fewer cookies will be baked, but I'd do it all again to be here for my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

December 3, 2012 - Hectic

Hectic We all have hectic days. I get that. Doesn't mean we have to like it, but I'll take it today. Mom and I went up to see dad t...